Offers Stable Mobility
For many active people, an injury forces them to stay in bed or on a couch with limited movement. A knee walker, provided it is approved by your medical professional for use during rehabilitation, keeps active people moving and healing at the same time.
This is especially true for individuals who live alone and would otherwise have to rely on outside help for simple household chores.
Are you tossing up between old fashioned wobbly crutches or a knee scooter.
Here are 7 Reasons To Consider using A Knee scooter
Visit How To Use a Knee Walker Properly. Here a few basic tips and tricks to get you started…
Eliminates Additional Assistance Costs…
A knee scooter eliminates the need and cost of additional assistance and they are designed for comfort and ease of movement in and around the home or outdoor environments.
The Different Types of Knee Scooters
Essentially there are only two main types of knee scooters. Those that are designed for indoor use and those intended for outdoor use.
They are typically easy to identify as the outdoor ‘all-terrain’ styles have heavier wheels or wheels that have a heavier looking tread to handle different surfaces much as an all-terrain vehicle has wider tires than a normal vehicle.
Frames And Wheels…
Braking System & Design Construction…
There are many designs that are considered ‘crossover’ and are labeled as all-terrain which operate perfectly well in either indoor or outdoor environments. The model you choose will depend on your needs. Our reviews will help take the indecision out of your mind.
The Different Brands of Knee Scooters
There are a handful of manufacturers who design and produce the majority of the knee scooters available in today’s market. Well-known names include KneeRover and Drive Medical. There are a handful of other reliable and good quality brands we have include in our knee scooter reviews reviews as well.
Well Known Brands…
Drive Medical is a company that specializes in various healthcare related items and equipment. Their product line includes wheelchairs, rollators and walkers, bath and shower aids, medical mattresses and assorted other pieces of medical furniture and accessories.
KneeRover also specializes in medical supplies with an emphasis on mobility aids including crutches, walker accessories, rollators and walkers. The company has a full line of all-terrain knee rollers in addition to other products.
The Best Knee Scooters Today
1) Drive Medical DV8 Aluminum Steerable Knee Walker Crutch AlternativeWhat makes Drive Medical DV8 Aluminum Steerable Knee Walker stand out is that the design features forward-facing front wheels which are completely maneuverable in any direction.
The Perfect & Safe Solution To A Faster Recovery…Weight can be safely supported on the padded seat which has a channel to keep the leg securely placed. You don’t need to feel isolated, or worry about the lack of stability a crutch doesn’t offer.
You can keep up with the family, visit friends, go shopping, out for a coffee or visit the neighbors with the Drive Medical DV8 Steerable Knee Walker.
Benefits of the Drive Medical DV8:
- Strong aluminum lightweight dual frame offers indoor and outdoor stability and durability
- Deluxe dual lever hand brakes for optimal safety
- Adjustable handle height 33″ to 37.5″
- 8 Inch wheels for a smooth ride to absorb bumps
- Right or left leg compatibility
- Ideal for individuals recovering from foot surgery, breaks, sprains, amputation and ulcers of the foot
- Knee walker can be steered for increased maneuverability
- Leg pad can be height adjusted from 17.5″ to 21.5″ high without tools
- Leg pad features secure “Channel” for stability and comfort
- Channel functions to hold your leg safely when riding, or when sitting watching TV, scooter can be turned sideways so the other channel provides an instant leg rest
- Tiller can be easily folded for portability and transportation
- No tools required for adjustments
Wheel Size…Small wheels make for extra bumps and have difficulty traveling over rougher ground, especially if you go on grassed areas. They get stuck too easily! The DV8 wheels can safely take you over grassy areas, gravel / dirt paths, uneven footpaths and any other surfaces….
The Steering Column Adjustable Height…The steering column also folds down for easy storage or to transport with ease.
The Knee Pad…
The actual size of the knee pad measures 7.25″ wide and 14.25″ long. And if you need to adjust to raise or lower the knee pad depending on your height, the range is 17.5″ at it’s lowest and 21.5″ at its highest.
The Brakes & Handle Bars…
Knowing you can brake quickly and safely when needed is vital. Being able to stop suddenly knowing you won’t take a spill is enormously reassuring. The Drive Medical DV8 Steerable Knee Walker adjustable dual hand brakes ensure your safety and security when in use.
The weight limit for use of this product is 300-pounds and it comes with a deluxe braking system and casters for easy movement indoors or outdoors. The frame is made from durable and lightweight aluminum and the manufacturer provides a limited lifetime warranty on the scooter but a lifetime warranty on the brake cable.
2) KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter – GreenThe Green KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter is designed for use indoors or outdoors.
Benefits of the KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter:
- Ideal for those recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use with large 7.5 inch non-marking rubber wheels
- 3.5″ x 6.5 x 12.5 inch long thick contoured knee platform lowers to 17.5 inches to 22.5 inches high from ground
- Left or right-leg compatible
- Handle bars adjust from 33 inches to 43 inches high
- Adjustable locking handbrakes and rear disc brake
- Provides an excellent safe alternative to crutches
- Superior maneuvering stability and control
- Includes free 8.5″ x 11″ x 8″ wire basket
- Quick folding mechanism for portability, easy transport and storage
- Fully height adjustable handlebars and knee pad
- 300 lb weight capacity and for individuals with heights 5′ – 6’6
The Knee Pad Size…The long rectangular knee pad platform measures 3.5-inches thick and is contoured for a comfortable and firm fit. The complete size of the actual knee pad measure 6.5″ width x 12.5″ in length.
No tools are needed for changing the height, there is a quick release lever to move.
Adjustable Handle Bar Height & Locking Hand Brakes…The locking handbrake and rear disc brake are fully adjustable as is the handlebars and knee platform to ensure a good fit. The handlebars also fold for quick transport or for storage purposes with a quick release lever.
The manufacturer suggested weight limit is 300-pounds and the knee roller is recommended for use of individuals between the heights of 5-feet and 6-foot-6.
There is also a free basket that comes with this model for easy carrying of small items.
3) Burgundy Roscoe Knee Scooter with A BasketThe Roscoe Knee Scooter has over 20 years of experience behind its design and production. Roscoe is committed to delivering top quality products to help their customers live healthier, more comfortable and independent lives.
Benefits of The Roscoe All Terrain Scooter:
- Lightweight aluminum frame for increased maneuverability
- Perfect for people recovering from a leg, ankle or foot injury
- Large 8-inch clear PU non marking wheels with sealed bearings for a smooth ride
- Adjustable hand brake for fast stopping response for safety
- Padded knee bed which has an easy adjustment mechanism
- Padded handlebar grips so your hands don’t hurt after using the scooter
- Includes wire basket for your belongings
Nice Large Wheels With Bearings…The large 8-inch clear PU wheels with sealed bearings make for smooth movement and is completely steerable. This all terrain scooter is designed for use both indoors and outdoors and the adjustable padded aluminum knee platform is mounted on an offset post making right-to-left configurations quick and easy.
No Tools Needed…
There are no tools required for any adjustments to this product and it has a thumb release lever to assist it in folding up for storage or transport.
Very Portable…The Roscoe Burgundy Knee Scooter comes with an easy folding mechanism, collapsing with a thumb release lever and folds up and fits beneath the raised knee platform for storage and portability.
The manufacturer recommends this scooter can be used by individuals up to 350-pounds.
4) KneeRover Deluxe Heavy Duty Steerable Knee ScooterThis KneeRover KneeCycle is promoted by the manufacturer as “one of the most advanced knee walkers in the industry” and it is a great alternative to crutches. The frame is a heavy duty frame made to handle any terrain indoors and outdoors. This is one of the more attractive looking models from KneeRover with its arching blue center bar and curved front bar between the wheels.
Benefits of the KneeRover Deluxe Scooter:
- KneeRover® Deluxe KneeCycle is one of the most advanced knee walkers
- Gives optimum security, stability and control when out and about
- Advanced automotive style tie-rod steering mechanism for easy maneuvering
- Handle bars adjust from 37 inches to 45 inches to suit heights from 5′ to 6’5″
- Adjustable locking disc handbrake
- Rear Disc Brakes for smoother braking
- Large 7.5″ non-marking rubber wheels
- Supportive 3.5″ thickly padded contoured knee pad which is left or right-leg compatible
- Knee Pad measures 17 inches at lowest setting to 22.5 inches from ground at highest
- Free wire storage basket. 7.5″ x 12.5″ x 8.25″ in size
- Removable front axle for ease of portability & storage
The Knee Pad…
The knee pad is very adjustable depending on how tall you are. It lowers down to 17 inches to a maximum height of 22.5 inches from the ground. As we have mentioned before, it all depends how tall you are… or short…
Large Wheels, Brakes And Free Wire Basket…The 4 large 7.5-inch non-marking rubber wheels make your trip anywhere smooth and relatively hassle free. Larger wheels offer a much smoother ride than small wheels. When you are looking at buying a knee scooter, remember to check the wheel size.
There is also a large free basket thrown in, making it perfect for use indoors or outdoors. The basket dimensions are 7.5″ x 12.5″ x 8.25″ giving you plenty of room to take your personal belongings along.
Adjustable Handle Bar Height…
The handle bars adjust to their lowest height at 37 inches and raise to a maximum height of 45 inches. Again, it all depends on your height. Height adjustment is tool free with the quick release lever feature.
The manufacturer says this knee walker is ideal for individuals up to the weight of 300-pounds and stand between 5-feet and 6-foot-5-inches tall.
5) All Terrain Knee Rover Steerable Knee ScooterDesigned for use indoors and outdoors, this heavy duty, sturdy All Terrain Knee Rover Steerable Knee Scooter is the best knee scooter for heavy duty use.
Forget clunky and unstable crutches which strain your back and shoulder muscles. By choosing this ” Rolls Royce” of the best knee scooter from the KneeRover range, you are choosing to look after yourself wisely. The level of independence and freedom provided are exactly what KneeRover want for their customers.
Benefits of the All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Scooter:
- Very large 12 inch air filled tires – he largest tires of any knee walker for sale now
- Adjustable Rim Hand Brake to stop instantly
- Dual Crossbar Design for extreme strength and maximum durability
- Rear brake for immediate braking
- 3″ Padded foam knee pad with molded contours for holding your leg. 19 to 22.5 inch height range
- Left and Right Leg Compatibility
- Handlebars adjust from 34″ to 47″ high
- Grips: Easy Clean Rubber
- 7.5″ x 12.5″ x 8.25″ Wire Basket is included for convenient storage
- Tool Free setup
- 400 Fund weight capacity and suits users heights from 5′ – 6’5″
Advanced Steering System…An advanced automotive style tie-rod steering design makes maneuvering easy, stable and controlled. The heavy duty double bar frame construction provides added strength and there is a locking handbrake.
100% Adjustable Seat & Handle Bar Heights…
The fully adjustable handlebars and knee platform are foldable making the knee walker easy to transport and store.
The handle bar height is simple to adjust with the flick of the quick release lever located at the base of the handle bar column. It can be lowered to as much as 34 inches down and to raise up for taller people to a maximum height of 47 inches, making it suitable for taller people. It’s one of the few models catering for tall people.
The Molded Knee Pad…The knee platform is designed from molded foam which is also padded for superior comfort and fit. Measured from the ground, the lowest position is 19 inches and raised to the highest position at 22.5inches.
The actual size of the knee pad is 6.5 inches wide with an overall length of 12.5 inches- a foot. The thick comfort is provided by 3.5 inches of contoured foam padding
Weight And Height Capacity…
The manufacturer says it is best suited for individuals between 5-feet and 6-foot-5 in height and has a weight limit of 400-pounds.
The Other Six Best Knee Walkers
6) Knee Scooter WalkerThe three key features to this well made and sturdy Isokinetics knee walker is a removable basket, wheels that are non-marking and locking brakes. There’s also a bell.
The steering column is fully adjustable without tools and the rear wheels are 9-inches. The braking system allows for slow stopping and a locking parking brake adds added security when getting on or off the walker.
The dual steel frame is strong and sturdy and can hold up to 300-pounds. This knee scooter is designed primarily for indoor use and limited outdoor use (flat, even surfaces).
7) Drive Medical Dual Pad Steerable Knee Walker with Basket, Alternative to CrutchesMade with a durable steel frame, this particular model, the Drive Medical knee walker is completely steerable and has a basket mounted on the front that can be removed.
There is a deluxe braking system which provides additional safety ranging from providing a solid location for getting on or off of the scooter to keeping you from rolling on surfaces with an incline.
The manufacturer states that this product is designed for use by individuals not exceeding 300-pounds.
8) Small Adult Short All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Knee Walker KneeDesigned specifically for small adults and children, this indoor/outdoor KneeRover knee scooter has 10-inch pneumatic tires and is fully steerable.
There is an adjustable locking brake as well as adjustable knee platform and handlebars that collapse making for easy transport or storage.
The heavy duty double bar construction makes this product strong and stable and it has a weight limit of 250-pounds. The height limit is 4-feet to 5-foot-9.
9) Drive Medical Adult Knee Walker Crutch AlternativeFeaturing 8-inch caster wheels, this unique style of the Drive Medical knee walkeris perfect for indoor or outdoor use. Frame construction is strong, durable and lightweight.
The complete frame is adjustable including the knee platform (which can convert from left to right easily), and handlebars allowing for a perfect fit or for easy transport or storage.
The knee platform contains padding which makes it comfortable for extended periods of time. The padding also allows for a firm place to hold your lower leg when using the knee walker.
The adjustments can be made without the requirement of tools and this product has a 300-pound weight limit.
10) All Terrain KneeRover PRO Knee Walker – Steerable Aluminum Knee Scooter with Shock Technology and Deluxe BackpackThis newly updated version from the best selling brand KneeRove is the All Terrain Pro has innovation written all over it from the backpack mounted on the front instead of a basket to the indoor/outdoor 12-inch pneumatic tires.
The lightweight aluminum frame employs an Integrated Shock Technology that translates into the smoothest, most comfortable ride on any surface.A tie-rod steering design provides solid, stable steering and there is also an adjustable locking handbrake. The double bar heavy duty construction is strong, durable and easy to maneuver.
There is a 400-pound weight limit on this knee walker and a height recommendation of between 5-feet and 6-foot-5.
11) Essential Medical Supply Free Spirit Knee and Leg WalkerThe State of the Art design of the essential Medical Supply knee scooter provides an over 30-percent turning radius and is the first of its kind to have loop hand brakes.
Another innovation never before seen in the knee walker industry is the widest flat free tires for additional stability indoors or outdoors.
The manufacturer recommends a weight limit of 400-pounds and height limits between 5-foot-4 and 6-foot-6. There is also a lifetime limited warranty on the frame which folds for easy storage or transportation.
Knee Scooter Buying Guide
The crutch alternative is clearly a knee walker but which one? It depends a lot on your personal size, the surroundings you plan on using one in and whether or not you are attracted to or require extra features. The basic models are as good as the higher end ones, only they do not have as many features.
Items you will require of any knee walker will include easy adjustments that can be made to both the knee platform and handlebars.
Steering, Braking, Baskets…
Steering would be another feature required from any of the best knee scooters as well as a braking system of some kind with a locking parking brake being a preferred option.
A basket may or may not be needed and if you are an outdoorsy type you would want to make sure your choice is designed for use away from the home. Strength and stability would then come into play with your decision.
A Stable, Independent And Safe Option To Crutches
As the whole idea behind these products is to provide an option to crutches and adding to your mobility, ultimately you would want a model that does what it is designed to do. Keep your injured leg secure and comfortable while you move about and keep your active lifestyle in place.
With this in mind, any of the best knee scooter styles reviewed here would be a perfect choice for use during injury or surgery rehabilitation.
Conclusion Of Finding The Best Knee Scooter To Get Around Safely
In today’s age where active lifestyles are more common than they used to be, being laid up nursing an injury or following a medical procedure can have a huge affect on not only physical but mental health as well. Not being able to move around within the home can be frustrating and depressing. Being able to at least manage to have some mobility during rehabilitation will do wonders with self-esteem and assist in speeding recovery time.
Depending on how active your lifestyle is, there is no longer anything to fear when faced with a leg, knee or ankle injury. The fact that knee scooters exist address this important issue. Different models all rely on the same basic design, a wheeled knee platform with handlebars and steering that can be propelled by pushing off with the uninjured leg/foot. The best knee scooters will keep you moving and part of the active lifestyle you have embraced during the recovery of an injury.